The official name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos.
Mexico covers an area of 1,964,375 sq. km., 1,959,248 of which are on the mainland and 5,127 of which are islands. There is also an Exclusive Economic Zone of territorial sea comprising 3,149,920 sq. km., meaning that the total area of the country is 5,114,295 sq. km. The outer coordinates of Mexican territory are:
- North: 32° 43´ 06´ north, at Monument 206, on the border with the United States of America (3,152.90 km).
- South: 14° 32´ 27´north, at the mouth of the Suchiate River, on the border with Guatemala (1,149.8 km).
- East: 86° 42´ 36´ west, in the far southeast of Isla Mujeres.
- West: 118° 27´ 24´ at Punta Roca Elefante on Isla Guadalupe in the Pacific Ocean.
Mexico comprises 32 states, the capital of which is the Federal District, where the branches of government are located.
Mexico has borders with the United States of America, Guatemala and Belize, totaling 4,301 kilometers distributed as follows:
- The frontier with the United States of America, from Monument 258 in the northeast of Tijuana to the mouth of the Rio Grande in the Gulf of Mexico, is 3,152 km long. Border states in the north of the country include Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila and Nuevo León.
- Mexico shares a 956-km border with Guatemala and a 193-km frontier with Guatemala (excluding the 85,266-km maritime border in Chetumal Bay. The border states in the south and southeast of the country are: Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche and Quintana Roo.
Mexico has a population of 97,483,412 inhabitants, according to the most recent census by the Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas, Geografía e Informática (2000), with an ethnic composition of 60% mestizo, 30% Indian, 9% European and 1% other.
The official language of Mexico is Spanish and it has over 66 Indian languages; the local currency is the Mexican peso.
From the Pre-Hispanic Cities only vestiges are left. Tenochtitlan died and in 1522 the hispanic city was born.In the center of the city and in some older neighborhoods as San Angel and Coyoacan, there are numerous colonial buildings, primarily from the seventeenth century.
Mexico City is privileged because it offers what few can: located in the center of everything that interests you: culture, nature, space tourism, education, entertainment, health, religion and nightlife.
The 16 politic delegations of Mexico City with the 18 municipalities of the State of Mexico, form the Metropolitan Area of Mexico, include approximately 17.6 million people, equivalent to about 17% of the population. Likewise, the City produces more than one third of national GDP.
Image: Panteras in the Constitution Plaza, Mexico City's center. In the back it's the Metropolitan Cathedral.